Tuesday 11 September 2007

DAY 2 OKEHAMPTON to CLEVEDON


Day 2 begins bright an early waking up at 7.30 and spending an hour preparing. This includes bike preperation tyres,lubricating.
Self preperation food,clothing and lubricating. Cream la derrier still in use!! Nia spent the hour walking around the campsite with a bowl of dirty plates looking for the washing up facilities( kept her happy)Today was going to be a different day( well its monday for a start and yesterday was a Sunday).
8.30 sharp left the campsite and Nia still with her dirty dishes and headed out along the B3215 towards Crediton.
Quiet country lanes with a few hills but no traffic.The village of Bow had probably the shortest name in England but unfortunately it was twinned with a French village called Henri Mortimer De La Bordeaux Crux a La Chantell du Sud, so it probably had the largest sign in Britain!!!!!! Whilst stopped here in a lay bye for a drink the wife in the caravanete passed me without even a glance( think she was still mad about the washing up!!!) A3072 to Tiverton was a nice ride. Passed a Cider farm but my will power was still strong and I cycled past.Then saw a sign which said cyclepath and off I went, 4 miles down the road I came to a village called Sticklepath !!!!! wish i'd paid more attention to my spelling classes at school.
It was then the A38 all the way to Taunton where I had a pit stop and a spot of lunch and topped up the derrier cream.Cycling through Taunton was a bit of a nightmare and I entered into a conversation with one of the locals at a pedestrian crossing who wished to inform me that " Wales SUCKS"!!!! I politely replied that her mother probably did too.
It was then the A38 through Bridgewater and under the M5 and the B3133 up to Yatton to a campsite.Didnt realise that the Mendip Hills were located in this part of the world ( now I do OUCH!!!!) Well that was the theory but we could not find it so I carried on to the outskirts of Clevedon. We found a weird and wonderful( not so much of the wonderful) campsite. It was like something out of a Hitchcock movie and we were the only ones there!!!! In fact we found the whole of Clevedon to be very weird and empty. ( sorry Mr Mayor of Clevdon)
Talked to a cross eyed man in the pub about my trip but although I explained my route in detail he still looked as if he didnt know whether I was coming or going!!
MILAGE 95
RIDE TIME 6hrs 50 mins
AVERAGE SPEED 13.7 mph
PROBLEMS Heat, Left Pedal fell off, Mendips,Weird Campsite,
PUNCTURES 0
ROUTE. Good choice of route, could do with avoiding major towns. Should have found a more central campsite

No comments: