Tuesday 18 September 2007

DAY 7" And on the seventh day............."





PENRITH to ABINGTON




A6 to Carlisle runs side by side with the M6. A fantastic road for cyclist although the long long straight bits can be daunting.( Flat but daunting)




Some quite little villages like Low Hesket, High Hesket, Little Hesket, Big Hesket and Fair to middling Hesket.




Carlisle was done with in a flash and then it was cock up time. Junction 44 M6 i.e the End of the M6 I turned off one exit too early and ended up on the A74 which really is a motorway in disguise.With the on going roadworks there was no hard shoulder so I had a narrow 2ft wide strip to concentrate on.




My thanks should go here to the driver of a National Holidays Coach who tried his best to give me a free lift!!!!!!!!!!!!!!



This was the worst 5 miles of cycling I had ever encountered. Warning to all KEEP OFF THE A74. I was very sore and painful but I managed to speed up rather quickly to get off this stretch of hell.


Hugh Charles was left a bit breathless when he overtook me in the fast lane.And a bit concerned !!












Hugh Charles with one leg in Scotland one leg in England and one hand on a Pole!!















Next stop was the famous Gretna Green and I asked Hugh Charles to marry me.!!



Och aye and we got to Bonny Scotland at last and enjoyed a massive scots breakfast ( a bucketful of porridge)














Next came the best kept secret in cycling the B7076. Following the M6 all the way up Crawford/ Abington.This was a fantastic road and we only passed half a dozen cars all afternoon. The cycling was a bit of a problem and the pit stops were very numerous due to the weak bladder syndrome which was becoming a worry. By now I wasnt sure if it was the peddle dropping off or something worse!!



This was a fantastic road and I only wished that I felt well enough to enjoy it. Every mile was quite painful but we kept on rolling on.








The first caravan site chosen for the night was not really very welcoming although we could have had our palms read and had baked hedgehog for supper.!!

We decided to carry on to Abington and found a fantastic camsite highly recommended with brilliant showers/ toilets etc.Probably one of the best sites on the whole trip. Went down into the village for supper but I was not really hungry so I gave it a miss.Did not even finish my beer so things were not rosy in the garden tonight.



MILAGE 78

Ride Time 6 hrs 15 mins

Punctures 0

Problems Physical and mental fatigue. Should really have taken a day off today.

No comments: